This Christmas, Asbury Church will once again be participating in Angel Tree®, a program of Prison Fellowship! Angel Tree is a national program that links church families with children in local communities who have an incarcerated parent. The purpose of this program is to provide a gift and a memory to a child who might otherwise not receive anything from their parent during the holiday season. We are very excited to be a part of this important ministry where participants help prisoners' children know that they are still loved and remembered by their incarcerated parent, especially around Christmas time.
On Saturday, December 9 from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM, we will be hosting a party where Angel Tree families will come and celebrate Christmas with us in the Wesley Center of Asbury Church. We need many Asbury members, families, and groups within Asbury to get involved:
- We have children who will need sponsors. Each sponsor will make direct contact with their assigned family, buy and wrap 2 gifts per child at the direction of the incarcerated parent, and then attend our Angel Tree party with the child and their family. (UPDATE 11/16/17: All children have been assigned sponsors.)
- We need volunteers to help plan and organize the details of the party as well as help the night of the party with setup, cleanup, and various tasks throughout the night.
- We need donations of supplies for the party.
- We are also requesting monetary donations to help cover the cost of the party (pizza, drinks, entertainment, etc.).
- There are so many ways that you can get involved!
On Sunday, November 5 at 9:00 AM and 10:30 AM (in Room 108) we will have two 30-minute information sessions. For all those interested in being a part of the Angel Tree program we ask that you attend one of these information sessions. During this time we will provide an overview of this year’s Angel Tree program and party. And you will have an opportunity to have any questions or concerns that you may have answered by our Angel Tree Team Representatives.
ANGEL TREE CHILD ASSIGNMENTS AND VOLUNTEER SIGNUPS FOR PARTY:
On Sunday, November 12 and Sunday, November 19 our Angel Tree Team Representatives will be in the Community Room between morning services. During this time, Asbury families who wish to sponsor a child can receive their information and for those interested in volunteering to help with the party can sign up for certain tasks.
For those who are unable to attend the information sessions on Sunday, November 5 but would like more information and/or for those who cannot make the sign up dates on November 12 or 19 but would like to sign up to help, please contact Bill Arnold, Asbury’s Director of Congregational Care, at
or Danell Fowler, Asbury Member and Angel Tree Coordinator, at
For more information about the Angel Tree program, visit www.angeltree.org.